Thursday, November 8, 2012

HIPPIE NOIR

Though most of our surviving photographs of the hippies are faded, it's easy to tell that their clothing and color scheme were anything but. The 1960s was a vivid era, and the style closely resembled the fluorescent phantasmagoria that accompanied acid trips at Woodstock. So what am I doing in monochrome psych-rock festival gear?? I figured sucking the rainbow straight out of my psychedelia would especially draw attention to the incredible shape and texture of hippie garb. Fringe, ruffles, flares, and bell sleeves... the sartorial geometry that goes into making my silhouette a statement can be easily overwhelmed by a clash of colors. And anyway, when was the last time you saw a beatnik, hippie, and 70s rock legend fashion fusion? This is what I'm all about. Acknowledging a theme -- and transcending it.




FROM TOP TO BOTTOM:
Headscarf - Secondhand
Sunnies - Party City
Faux fur vest - ROMWE
Bell sleeve poncho blouse - YES STYLE
Velvet burnout flares - Free People, KARMALOOP
Boots - Zigi, KARMALOOP
Fringe bag - CHICWISH

As a sensible shopper, I obviously discourage impulse purchases. But I do admit that they have their perks... you have NO idea what you'll pair the garment with, so you're entertained for hours inventing a theme for it. It's weird, but I actually enjoy working with clothing that I don't like very much because it's a challenge. And forcing myself to see garments from a more innovative perspective often results in me falling madly in love them! I adore everything I'm wearing in these photos, but when I ordered a few of the pieces online (the vest and poncho blouse, for example,) I hardly knew what they'd look like in real life. So in a way, they were impulse purchases because I didn't consider their practicality at the time. But look at how well they turned out in this ensemble! Lucky me! Argh. Fine. I'm a shopping freak, and this is just me trying to rationalize my addiction.

Everything is infinite,

Bebe Zeva

13 comments:

  1. I'd probably impulse buy the poncho blouse as well.. it's to die for !♡

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're absolutely gorgeous!

    http://i-vomit-triangles.blogspot.de/

    ReplyDelete
  3. love this! Its awesome, the pants and shirt are amazing want to get my hands on them!

    Hayley xx
    www.addictionstoshopping.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this outfit and ADORE the bell sleeved top!

    munchmecat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great eyebrows and ensemble ;)

    rightrough.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Omygod, omygod, omygod. I luuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrveeeeee your blog and your style and your writing. You are sooo amazing. I'm totally fangirling you right now and have followed on GFC. This is the blog I've been waiting for. FABULOUS <3

    http://thechicmuse000.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. GORGEOUS! you look like a rockstar.
    xoxo

    http://impressthepress.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. great look!!

    www.thequeensshed.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Impulse shopping is so dangerous! Love this outfit though. Felicity x
    that-bird.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  10. HOW DOES THIS ONLY HAVE 12 COMMENTS
    I LOVE THIS JUST AS MUCH AS I LOVE YOUR OLDER GOTH LOOKS
    OMG BEBE

    JUST
    OMG

    SO GOOD
    OMG

    ReplyDelete